Question 1 gives voters a chance to take action NOW to strengthen the economy, create jobs and build access to high speed internet.
Bond question (#1) will appear on the July 14 statewide ballot. The question, as it will appear on the ballot, is:
“Do you favor a $15,000,000 bond issue to invest in high-speed internet infrastructure for unserved and underserved areas, to be used to match up to $30,000,000 in federal, private, local or other funds?”
Question 1 gives voters a chance to take action NOW to strengthen the economy, create jobs and build access to high speed internet, particularly in rural Maine. The $15 million bond will be matched by $30M in private, federal and local support – tripling the impact of this smart investment and putting at least $45M to work connecting Mainers .
Access to high speed internet is extremely important to daily life, especially now amidst the COVID-19 Crisis. Everyone needs access. No exceptions.
Access to high speed internet is extremely important to daily life, especially now with COVID-19. Everyone needs access. No exceptions:
• This is a smart investment that will help businesses to grow and strengthen the economy.
• Small businesses depend on high speed internet to stay open and create jobs.
• Broadband can help ensure students can access education even when they are at home.
• The broadband plan focuses on rural Maine and helps close the gap with other parts of the state.
• If we invest now we can help Mainers, particularly in rural areas, who don’t have access to high speed, reliable internet service.
• We need to take action NOW to help get the economy started.
• Access to high speed internet is critical to encouraging diverse economic growth, creating jobs and helping businesses to rebound from COVID-19.
A broad, diverse coalition of individuals, businesses, organizations and communities is forming to support this critical investment. See more about Allies.
The easiest way to maintain social distance and still get your voice heard is to request a ballot electronically using the Secretary of State's online absentee ballot request service or by contacting the municipal clerk in the town or city where you are registered to vote.
What can you do to help support the 'Yes On 1' campaign? Send a video to email@example.com or shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us why high-speed internet is important to you and why you are voting YES ON 1. Please also consider a donation or encouraging your organization to become an ally to endorse the campaign.